The Morzine cyclosportive was once again a great success in 2015 with more than 800 people taking on the revised route over either 140km or 90km. The route was revised due to the land slides earlier in the spring causing the Col de Joux Plane to be closed from the Morzine side. However, the sportive organisers did a fantastic job and designed a route just as challenging and just as scenic, with perhaps even a touch more climbing than the original planned route.
The Morzine Cyclosportive is a great spectacle for road cyclists and will continue to grow as more and more people hear about this stunning part of the Alps and how great the road cycling is.
There were a number of highlights for the day, so we decided to list Alps Bike Hire’s top 5, see below:
- Alps Bike Hire co-owner Amelia Pearson finished 3rd female in the 140km event on her Giant Propel, perhaps a little surprising, and a great achievement in her first ever sportive.
- Despite his turbulent past, it was exciting to see the big German past Tour de France winner Jan Ulrich turning out for the shorter sportive!
- The revised route was a real winner, while the views from the top of the Col de Joux Plane is breath taking, it’s pretty hard to top the views as you roll over the summit of Col de la Ramaz!
- The help and support of locals, volunteers and race officials was second to none. From the leader to the tailenders to those that were unable to make the entire distance, the help and support provided was excellent.
- Finally it was great to see so many Giants out racing, we had 5 bikes doing the event (with the help of some people), but saw countless other Giant making the journey!
Looking forward to next year already. Hope to see you all there!